Medical Explorers is sponsored by Bothwell Regional Health Center and the “Learning for Life” program of the Boy Scouts of America, Ozark Trails Post #75. Here are more details about this program:
What do we do in the program?
- Visit hospital departments for overviews, demonstrations and hands-on learning experiences in a variety of units, areas and specialties
- Explore careers in areas such as nursing, radiology, social work, rehabilitation services, laboratory, medicine and more…
- Job Shadow various healthcare workers in a variety of departments
- Visits to off-site locations for special sessions may be offered
Who can apply?
- Young men and women entering their Junior or Senior year of high school (2018-2019)
- High School students who maintain a B average
- Students in Pettis and Benton County Missouri
When are meetings held?
- Kick-off meeting October 25 (5-7:00 p.m.)
- Education sessions: November 15 and December 20; January – May: the 4th Thursday of the month (these dates may be subject to change)
- Meeting times are from 4:30-6:00 p.m. (some months may offer later classes which would be announced in advance)
- Job shadowing is offered throughout the year, during the week (primarily M-F)
- Meeting attendance may be required in order to participate in certain activities and job shadowing
When are applications due?
- Submissions accepted May 29 - September 21, 2018, 5:00 p.m.
Interested students may submit an application to the BRHC 2018-2019 Medical Explorers program. If selected to participate in the program, the cost is $50 for the entire school year. Medical Explorers will receive a polo shirt to wear during educational sessions and job shadowing. Please do not enclose payment with the application. Fees will be collected after the selection process is completed.
Required Application Materials
- Completed Medical Explorer application
- Two paragraphs addressing the essay portion of the application
- Copy of most recent grade card (Minimum “B” average is required)
- One letter of recommendation in a sealed envelope
- Applications must be returned by Friday, September 21, 2018, 5:00 p.m.
- Students needing financial assistance may submit an inquiry with their application
Application can be brought to: Beth Everts (office located in Bothwell Education Center at the corner of 14th and Ingram.)
OR mailed to:
Bothwell Regional Health Center
c/o Beth Everts
601 E. 14th St.
Sedalia, MO 65301
Questions? Please contact Beth Everts at (660) 829-6652 or email firstname.lastname@example.org