Leader of the Year
Dianne Williams said she knew at a young age that she wanted to be a nurse. Apparently, her choice was spot on because Williams was recently named Bothwell Regional Health Center’s FY2015 Leader of the Year.
Williams, director of the 2 Southwest medical-surgical nursing unit, Pediatrics and Orthopedics, has been employed at Bothwell for more than 26 years. She has served in her current leadership position since 2008. During her time at Bothwell, Williams also has been a charge nurse, assistant nursing unit director and a nursing educator for basic and pediatric advanced life support certification.
“I knew when I was in the sixth grade that I wanted to be a nurse,” Williams said. “It was something I always wanted to do.”
After high school, she earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing from the University of Central Missouri, then Central Missouri State University, and began working at Bothwell.
“I truly feel like it’s a calling,” Williams said of her chosen profession. “You really can make a difference in a person’s life. When you see that somebody comes in so sick, and you’re able to help them get better so they can go back home – that’s just so rewarding for me.”
She also appreciates her colleagues.
“Our patients are our focus, but it’s not just the patients that I care about,” Williams said. “It’s the employees. We really are a team.”
Staying in her hometown is also important to Williams.
“I like being at Bothwell because I want to give back to my community and because you get to see every day how you’ve made a difference,” she said. “Throughout my career, I have had to many opportunities to learn and grow not only as a nurse, but as a leader.”
“Dianne is the epitome of an exceptional nursing leader,” said Bothwell President and Chief Executive Officer John Dawes. “Her first priority has always been doing what is best for the patient. She also does an excellent job of educating her staff about best practices, explaining not only the process but the reason for every step in that process.”
Nominees for the Leader of the Year award also included:
• Montye Hagele, ultrasound technologist, joined Bothwell in May 1998. According to his nomination, “Montye leads by example. He is a working supervisor who takes on his fair share, if not more, of the workload in our department.”
• Lisa Irwin, Human Resources manager, joined Bothwell in August 1997. According to her nomination, “Lisa has improved the new employee meeting process by listening to all in the HR group and assisting us all in better communication.”
• Brad Nicholson, Director of Pharmacy, joined Bothwell in February 1983. According to his nomination, “Brad praises employees as they are advancing through the training process, keeping them motivated and encouraged as every day can offer a new challenge in Pharmacy.”
• Kara Sheeley, chief radiation therapist, joined Bothwell in August 2012. According to her nomination, “Kara sets a standard for the culture in Oncology. She values customer satisfaction, invites ideas for improvement and works for the success of the department and facility.”
• Angela Thomas, patient care coordinator, joined Bothwell in March 2013. According to her nomination, “Angela will come to the floor throughout her shift just to ask if everything is going OK and if we need anything even if she is having a busy night.”